Hope Shines Day Tours
Come Tour with Us!
Spend some time with Hope Shines with our unique half-day tour and immerse yourself into the local Rwanda culture and the lives of under-served and vulnerable children cared for by Hope Shines. This tour is designed for those who want to understand the world of an international nonprofit and feel engaged in what is happening in this community. Learn about how the history of this country has shaped its tremendous advancement in the world and how Hope Shines is doing its part to help!
A 3-hour tour includes:
- See and learn about the local village and some of its history where Hope Shines works through a walking tour of the village.
- Understand and be enlightened about the programs and projects in which Hope Shines works and why they make a difference in the lives of children and their families.
- Taste and enjoy an authentic Rwanda meal shared with the staff and students enrolled at Hope Shines learning center.
- Feel the energy and witness the beauty of the traditional Rwandan dance, Intore, performed and executed by our very own highly talented Hope Shines dance troupe.
Learn how saving soap is saving lives in the community and beyond. Our production team at our social enterprise project called Kiza Recycled Soap is made up of parents of the children we serve at Hope Shines will walk you through the process of taking discarded hotel soap and repurposing it into beautiful reusable bars. You can even make your own soap to take home as a souvenir!
Timeline of Tour:
- 9:15 am – 10:15 am: Welcome and Reception and Facility Tour: After arriving by your own means or pre-arranged at check out by a Hope Shines staff, you are welcomed by the Hope Shines team at our learning center! You will then be briefed on the organization and its history in Rwanda as well as learn about the youth development programs and projects that operate as part of our core mission.
- 10:20 am – 11:20 am: Village tour begins. After a de-briefing of the organization, you will get a tour of the facility, meet the all Rwandese staff and of course the children we serve in the after-school program. From there, we will guide you through the local area where you will learn some of the history there, visit the famous Mumena Stadium, and then meet local business owners or leaders. From there it’s back to the learning center to do an activity with the children just before lunch.
- 11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Large group lunch with the children. Break bread over a delicious hot and freshly prepared authentic Rwandan lunch and interact with the children and staff and learn about each other and our varying cultures.
- 12:30 pm – 1 pm: Conclusion and live performance. Be entertained by a performance of traditional Rwandan dance, Intore. This dance is performed by our dance troupe specifically for you and carefully choreographed. It will leave your senses stimulated and with an impression that will resonate with you long after your visit to Rwanda ends!
Drop Us A Line
Want to get in touch with us? Click below to fill out our contact form, and we’ll be in touch with you as soon as we can.